Ever heard of “The Magic Bank Account”? It’s actually not magic. It’s a gift bank account, one all of us possess. And it’s one of the most precious gift accounts we’re given, next to our lives, our souls, and God’s redeeming sacrifice for us. But it’s a little different than a regular bank account, where you can make deposits. In fact, you don’t open it, someone else does. And you don’t make deposits. Withdrawals yes; deposits, no. There are deposits, but they are made by Someone else, on your behalf. Until the day the account is closed, by Someone else. Read on to find out about this precious account.
Imagine that you won the following “prize” in a contest: Each morning your bank would deposit $86,400 in to your private account for your use. However, this prize has rules:
1. Everything that you didn’t spend during each day would be taken away from you.
2. You may not simply transfer money into some other account.
3. Each morning upon awakening, the bank opens your account with another $86,400 for that day.
4. The bank can end the game without warning; at any time, it can say, “Game Over!” It can close the account and you will not receive a new one.
What would you personally do with all of that money?
You would buy anything and everything you wanted, right? Not only for yourself, but for all the people you love and care for. Even for people you don’t know, because you couldn’t possibly spend it all on yourself, right? You would try to spend every penny and use it all, because you knew it would be replenished in the morning, right?
Actually, this game is real!
Shocked by that statement? Yes!
Each of us is already a winner of this “prize”. We just can’t seem to see it.
That’s right. Time.
1. Each morning we awaken to receive 86,400 seconds of God’s gift of life.
2. And when we go to sleep at night, any remaining time is NOT credited to us.
3. What we haven’t used up that day is lost forever.
4. Yesterday is forever gone.
5. Each morning the account is refilled, but the bank can dissolve your account at any time, without warning…
So, what will you do with your 86,400 seconds?
Those seconds are worth so much more than the same amount in dollars. Think about it and remember to enjoy every second of your life, because time races by so much quicker than you think.
This “Why Time Counts” story was carried around by the famous University of Alabama football coach Bear Bryant, a Christian who worked diligently to make each day—and his contribution to it and the young men he worked with—the best he could possibly could.
Don’t waste your time, and don’t waste the time that belongs to others. It’s a precious gift for them, too!
Until next Monday, may your week be full of blessings that you receive and give, your heart be full of joy and thankfulness, and your days be filled with laughter! Build a little heaven in your life right now, and watch your heavenly garden grow!