Monday, October 31, 2016

Rethinking Halloween





            Given that today, October 31, is the day people around the world celebrate Halloween, I thought it might be good to resurrect an essay (no pun intended) that I posted three years ago. It’s still timely and informative, and, for many of you, it may help you rethink this presumably harmless holiday.
           
            So often we leave ourselves open to anything, and if it sounds good and portends to be lots of fun, we’re the first ones in line to get on board to participate, even if we haven’t really done our living intentionally research before committing. I think Halloween is one of those events. And I think many people, even Christians, are clueless about its origins and meanings.
           
            Just recently I was talking to my orthodontia assistant about Halloween. She felt uncomfortable celebrating it and wasn’t too keen on having her toddler son involved with it, either. And she was stressed because her well-meaning mother-in-law is all gung ho about dressing her grandson up in some cute costume and parading him around the neighborhood to beg for candy. (Actually, I think grandma is probably more interested in taking a library of pictures of him and bragging to her friends about how adorable he is.) But I gave the young mom some insight into the holiday, and what some professional law enforcement officials think about it, and she said, “See, I didn’t know that. I don’t want to get involved in that kind of thing. I’m going to have to have a difficult chat with my mother-in-law.”
           
            So before you run out and drop a wad of hard earned money on some cheap costume that will either fall apart in a month, or your child will soon outgrow, (or you’re going to be humiliated wearing to some adult Halloween party), read this 2013 post and then think long and hard, and pray, about whether or not you should get involved in the celebrations. You might be opening yourself up to more than you expected, or wanted.


            On a side note, I do have a humorous Halloween story, about something that happened to my husband and me when we still thought traipsing around in costumes and attending adult drinking parties were fashionable and fun.
           
            One of my husband’s co-workers had invited us to a Halloween costume party at his house. Being a thespian, I wanted to do it up right, so I searched the local costume stores for just the right characters to portray. After some intense searching, I settled on Cleopatra for me, and her lover, Antony, for my husband. I wore some skimpy, flowing skirt and gold-colored bra-like top (I could get away with wearing something like that back then.) A brass-colored asp circled my long, curly black wig. My husband looked like an emperor in full Roman military regalia, complete with shiny helmet, shin and breastplates and flowing scarlet cape. Handsome and imperial don’t even begin to describe him.
           
            During the evening, I met several of his co-workers I’d never met before and had a lengthy discussion with one of the newer employees. Several weeks later, we all gathered together for another social event. But this time, a black wig wasn’t covering my shoulder-length, light blonde hair.
           
            A couple of days later, my husband arrived home laughing hysterically about the office joke that had been passed around that day. Evidently, the new employee had been quite concerned about who my husband had brought to the second event and made the rounds at the office to ask who that “other woman” was at the social. “What do you mean?” someone asked him. “That was his wife.”
           
            “Oh, no, that’s not his wife. I met his wife at the Halloween party, and she’s not a blonde. His wife has long black hair!”
           
            He was pretty sheepish after the water cooler crowd laughed uproariously at his faux pas and then quickly spread the story around the office. To his credit, he apologized to my husband for his blunder. Thirty years later, we still laugh about that. I must have been pretty convincing in my getup. I should have been. The costume rental fee was exorbitant!

           
            We’ll be back to obtaining peace next week!
           
_______________________________________

So, until next Monday, may your week be full of blessings that you receive and give, your heart be full of joy and thankfulness, and your days be filled with laughter. Build a little heaven in your life right now, and watch your heavenly garden grow!


Blessings,

Andrea

When the eyes of the soul looking out meet the eyes of God looking in, heaven has begun right here on earth. ~ A. W. Tozer


Image by Google

No comments:

Post a Comment