Monday, October 30, 2017

A Halloween Tree? Isn’t That an Oxymoron?



            I ALMOST COULDN’T BELIEVE IT WHEN I READ THE HEADLINE in a national newspaper about Target’s new Halloween tree. A Halloween tree? Really? You’ve got to be kidding. Who sits around and thinks up these things? (Evidently the National Tree Company marketing geniuses that make and sell it.) But how could they take a tree—a symbol of life and growth—and turn it into a tree of horror and death? Seems like an oxymoron to me.
           
            If you think I’m getting too melodramatic here, just read the description on Target’s website:


“This potted tree with its tangle of stringy black branches will add a hint of horror to your Halloween decorating scheme.”

           
            A tree that adds a “hint of horror to your Halloween decorating scheme.” Ooooh, doesn’t that sound lovely? Why do I want to add horror to any decorating scheme?
           
            Then they continue with a description that makes this horror tree sound appealing.
           

“Branches are sprinkled with sparkling glitter and strung with 25 battery operated warm white LED lights. Includes 6 hours ON/18 hours OFF lights timer. Decorative urn base is weighed for stable display. For indoor or covered outdoor use.”





ENTICING LANGUAGE
           
            Catch the “warm” adjective? And a “decorative urn base?” They’re trying to make it sound pretty. And it must have been convincing because the 46-inch, $129.00 tree is sold out, temporarily unavailable at this writing, which is only five days ahead of Halloween.

            This shouldn’t surprise me, though. From the beginning of time, evil has masqueraded as beautiful and enticing. In this case, horrible, warm and decor-enhancing. What other way would you be attracted to it? With 8.4 BILLION hard-earned American dollars spent on Halloween in 2016, it’s clear we’re attracted to and tempted by the macabre and creepy.

            But as I do every year, I make a case for not celebrating this seemingly harmless “holiday.” So here’s the link to last year’s post that gives you all of the reasons I think you should re-consider your celebration of it.







500 YEARS AND COUNTING —
           
            And if you’d like to go a different direction this year, read this blog post by my friend, author and speaker Jim Watkins. It’s in reference to the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation Martin Luther inadvertently started back in Germany. It’s not what you expect, and I think you’ll find it a thoughtful analysis of Catholic versus Protestant views.


Don’t be afraid of missing out. Do something different this year. Celebrate beauty and life! And if you have to attend a Halloween costume party, dress up as one of your favorite martyrs. (You can find plenty of modern ones. Thousands of Christians are being martyred daily all around the world.) At the very least, it will trigger an interesting conversation!





And on a final note, this month I’m celebrating my 5-year anniversary of this blog! I think that’s worth a Woo Hoo! as my friend and writer extraordinaire Adam Colwell likes to say. J It has been nothing short of a miracle that I’ve been able to post every Monday for a total of 279 weeks along with a couple extra thrown in. (One I deleted in deference to it being published in an international publication).

I am grateful. Only God could have orchestrated all of this and provided any speck of inspiration I’ve been able to share.




I’ll see you back here again next week for another dose of peace!

Blessings,
           
Andrea
May you prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers (3 John 2).


Photos courtesy of Google Images          

No comments:

Post a Comment